- THE CABINETS
- THE TEXTS
Transcription formatting help
How can I make the transcription look more like the document?
Can I make words bold, italic, and underlined
- Add <b> your word </b> to make the word bold
- Add <i> your word </i> to italicize the word
- Add <u> your word </u> to underline the word
Can I add line breaks?
- Add <br /> to the end of a line or shift+enter for a manual line break
What if I can't read a word?
- If you're uncertain, type your best guess [giraffe?] or [illegible]
What about interlinear additions?
- Use ^ ^ to indicate these:
We went ^to^ the Museum
What if the word is misspelled?
- Please reproduce the misspelling.
- For archaic or misspelled scientific names, places, and personal names, if the correct spelling can be determined, please add it in brackets afterward. For example:
Psittacus erythracus [erithracus]
Where can I find common abbreviations and examples?
- This excellent document from the Natural History Museum (London) has a list of examples and abbreviations.
What do we do with your transcription?
- We proofread it to ensure accuracy
- Add code to ensure it displays properly
- Add it to the item record so it appears alongside the document image(s)
Can I be credited for my transcription?
- Yes! Please contact us and let us know which letter(s) you worked on.
- You can remain anonymous if you prefer